How to Fix the Xbox One Black Screen of Death
The Xbox One “black screen of death” is a software glitch that first appeared around January of 2019. When you get the Xbox One black screen of death, you can navigate certain menus, but large portions of the dashboard are blacked out and completely unusable. This problem can be frustrating, but fortunately we’ve come up with more than one way to fix your Xbox One.
Sometimes a hard reset is the fastest and easiest fix for the black screen of death. Xbox One users can hard reset in two easy steps:
- Hold the Power button for 10 seconds while the Xbox One is still on.
- Press the Power button again.
Note: This is usually only a temporary fix for the black screen of death on Xbox One.
Some people have fixed the black screen of death by switching tabs and then quickly switching back to reload the dashboard. To do this, press the Home button, immediately switch to another tab using the left or right shoulder buttons, then return to the dashboard.
Note: Others have found similar success by going to the Xbox Store from the guide and immediately pressing the A button on a banner ad to reload the dashboard that way.
Since the black screen of death is an Xbox Live problem, you can stay offline and bypass Microsoft servers completely:
- Disconnect from Xbox Live (an option found in Wi-Fi Settings).
- The dashboard should reappear with full functionality.
- (Optional) Restart your Xbox One console.
- (Optional) Reconnect to Xbox Live.
Sometimes, connecting to Xbox Live after rebooting in offline mode will fix the black screen of death.
Pressing Right Trigger + Left Trigger + Y Button
This solution, first discovered by a Reddit user named Stevr, uses another method to access and reload the dashboard. It is done shortly after powering up the console.
- Start the Xbox One as normal.
- Wait until the Xbox One begins to move your pins on startup.
- As soon as the pins move, press Right Trigger, Left Trigger and the Y button simultaneously.
If you do this properly, the dashboard will not fade away to black and functionality will be restored.
Resetting the Xbox One restores your system back to factory settings and should take the black screen of death away.
- Go to the guide using the Home button.
- Select System.
- Select Settings.
- Select System (again).
- Select Console info.
- Select Reset console.
- 1Select “Reset and keep my games & apps”.
If the Xbox One black screen of death persists:
- Repeat steps 1 through 6.
- This time, instead of step 7, select “Reset and remove everything”.
Note: As the name suggests, this option will remove all files not backed up on Xbox Live through the Microsoft servers. This option will not delete your license to redownload previous online purchases.