How to Fix iPhone X Screen Glitch
The iPhone X® includes a brand new OLED screen that sets itself apart from any of its predecessors. The iPhone X screen is also the first to ditch the old physical iPhone Home button we were used to!
Of course, even the coolest new iPhone can come with some glitches and bugs when they are first released. In this article, we’re going to go over some of the more common issues users run into with iPhone X screen glitches, including unresponsive touchscreens, delayed responses, flickering, or the notorious ghost-touch issue—and easy steps you can take for a DIY fix.
How to fix iPhone X screen glitch or ghost touch
The iOS® 13.3 update has caused some glitches to crop up since it was first released, including an annoying “iPhone X ghost touch glitch” that means the screen randomly selects things without anyone using the touchscreen. This annoying little issue can keep your phone from functioning properly—so if you’re dealing with an iPhone X ghost touch issue, try these quick fixes from our experts ASAP!
Close all your background apps
After the iOS 13.3 update, some users have been experiencing the ghost touch glitch when rogue background apps have been left on. If you accidentally left some apps open during your update, it could cause issues in your phone’s background processes. The best fix for this is to simply close all apps you currently have open.
How to close iPhone X apps
- Use your finger and swipe up and then pause on the Home screen.
- Navigate left or right through the apps preview, where you can see which apps are active.
- Swipe up on each app to close each one until you have no applications open.
After closing all your background apps, try using your screen again to see if this fix has solved your issue.
Restart your iPhone X
Turn it off and on again? This tried and true method is actually one you’re going to want to try out. By rebooting your iPhone X, you can help remove erratic cache you may have left over that’s causing your ghost touch issue. You’ll want to try a soft reset first, then a hard reset if the soft reset is unsuccessful.
How to soft reset an iPhone X
- Press down on the Power button and either of the Volume buttons simultaneously for a few moments.
- Let go of both buttons once the Slide to Power Off prompt appears on your screen.
- Drag the power off bar to the right to turn off your iPhone.
- After a minute, hold the Power button again until you see your Apple logo.
How to hard reset an iPhone X
If your screen issue makes it impossible for you to slide the Power Bar and perform a soft reset, you can try a hard reset instead to get around having to use the screen.
- Locate the Volume Up button and press down and release it.
- Now find the Volume Down button and press down and release it.
- Finally, press and hold the Power button for a few moments until the Apple logo appears.
Update your applications
Sometimes your applications themselves can be causing the problem instead of the phone itself. In these cases, it’s best to update all of your currently used applications so the proper fixes and performance enhancements from those patches can do their work. In order to update all of your applications you can follow these steps.
How to update iPhone X apps
- From your Home Screen, locate the App store and open it.
- Locate the tab that says Today at the bottom and select it.
- Now tap on the user icon on the top right of the screen.
- From this page you will be able to see your account information, where you can scroll down to where it says Available Updates Section.
- You can select Update All to update all of your apps at once. Or, if you want to select specific applications to update, you can tap ‘Update’ for each application individually.
Reset your iPhone X settings
Overrides in your iOS can have a large impact when it comes to the performance on your phone. Information can get changed on these overrides, resulting in invalidated data. That data can trigger a lot of problems on your iPhone, such as the ghost touch glitch. If this is the reason for your phone’s glitch issue, then performing an all settings reset may do the trick to fix it.
How to reset all settings on iPhone X
- Find your Settings from your Home screen.
- Go ahead and select General.
- When you have done that next scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap Reset.
- Now select the Reset All Settings option.
- Confirm your password and then tap to confirm if all of your settings were properly reset.
After the reset, your phone will perform a reboot, and you’ll be able to see if this fix has done the trick.
Performing a factory reset to fix iPhone X screen glitch
Sometimes your glitches and errors can be caused by more sinister bugs in your system that the other methods won’t get rid of. In this situation your best bet may be to perform a full factory reset on your phone. Remember that after a factory reset all of your information on your phone and settings will be back to factory default. If there are any important photos, videos or information you don’t want to lose during the process, make sure to transfer them over through your iCloud first via iTunes.
How to factory reset an iPhone X
- Find your settings on your Home screen.
- Select the General option.
- Go to the bottom of the page and tap Reset.
- Select the option that says Erase all contents and settings.
- The screen will prompt you for your password. Enter it, and then tap to confirm that you want all of your settings to be reset.
After a few moments, your phone will go through its automatic process and then reset. Once it does, you can start setting up your phone again. Check to see if this fix solved your iPhone X ghost touch issues.
My iPhone X screen is flickering
If your screen is flickering, but not exhibiting the ghost touch glitch, then go ahead and follow the previous steps if you haven’t already done so. Most of the solutions used to resolve a ghost touch glitch can also be used to fix a flickering iPhone X screen. But if none of those solutions above worked for you, it may be time to take your phone in to an expert to ensure there was no physical damage to the device. Sometimes simple bumps and drops can cause issues to crop up, so don’t hesitate to stop by your local uBreakiFix for a free diagnostic to have a professional take a look. They’ll know exactly what to do to get your iPhone X screen to stop flickering and start working properly again.
Articles are written by various members of the uBreakiFix creative team. iPhone X®, iPhone®, iCloud®, iTunes® and iOS® are the trademarks of Apple Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. uBreakiFix and the articles contained herein are not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by Apple or any of the respective owners of the other trademarks appearing herein.